Mains Paper 2: IR | Bilateral, regional & global groupings & agreements involving India &/or affecting India’s interests
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Exercise Sahyog
Mains level: India-Vietnam Relations
Ex. Sahyog HOP TAC-2018
- The Indian Coast Guard conducted its maiden joint exercise with the Vietnam Coast Guard in the Bay of Bengal, off the coast of Chennai.
- The exercise was aimed at enabling the Coast Guard units of the two countries to acquaint themselves with each other’s capabilities, strengthening the working-level relationship to rescue lives at sea and refining joint operation procedures.
- Three Indian Coast Guard ships ICG Shaurya, Arnvesh and C-431 — and two helicopters, ICG Dornier and Chetak, took part in the search and rescue (SAR) exercise.
- Vietnam Coast Guard vessel, CSB 8001, arrived to take part in the joint exercise and to enhance interoperability.
- The joint exercise simulated a scenario involving rescue of crew from a hijacked oil tanker, interdiction of a pirated vessel, joint boarding operation and external fire-fighting to salvage burning ships.