Mains Paper 3: Environment | Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: India Water Impact Summit 2018
Mains level: Strategy envisioned in the newscards
- India Water Impact Summit 2018 was jointly organized by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and the Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies in New Delhi.
India Water Impact Summit
- It is an annual event where stakeholders get together to discuss, debate and develop model solutions for some of the biggest water-related problems in the country.
- The discussions this year will be on the rejuvenation of the Ganga River Basin.
- There will be multi-country dialogue on the subject, with showcasing of technological innovations, research, policy frameworks and funding models from India and abroad.
- The efforts may take various forms including (but not limited to): data collection (sensors, LIDAR, modelling etc), hydrology, e-flows, agriculture, wastewater and more.
Three key aspects on focus
Spotlight on 5 states
- These include Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Delhi and Bihar
- The objective is to showcase the efforts and works going on within the respective states.
Ganga Financing Forum
- The Summit introduces the inaugural Ganga Financing Forum that will bring a number of institutions to a common knowledge, information and partnership platform.
- The Hybrid Annuity Model has redefined the economic landscape of water and waste-water treatment in India.
- All tenders have been successfully bid out and financial closures being achieved.
- The Financing Forum will bring together financial institutions and investors interested in Namami Gange programmes.
Technology and Innovation
- Implementation of the pilot/demonstration programme known as the Environment Technology Verification (ETV) process.
- This will provide an opportunity for technology and innovation companies from around the world to showcase their solutions for addressing the problems prevalent in the river basin.