From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : IndAir
Mains level : Combating urban air pollution in India
- The National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) along with the CSIR has launched India’s first web repository documenting air quality studies done in the last 60 years.
- The IndAIR has archived approximately 700 scanned materials from pre-Internet era (1950-1999), 1,215 research articles, 170 reports and case studies and 100 cases.
- It aims to provide the history of air pollution research and legislation.
- Such a repository on air pollution is one of the first in the world.
Why need such a repository?
- Though air pollution is one of the most widely deliberated issues, little is known about it in India as far as the statistics or the history is concerned.
- The general belief has been that not much is being done to tackle the problem.
- IndAIR will help the academicians understand the issue better and also enable policymakers to frame legislation that encourages development.