Mains Paper 3: Internal Security | Challenges to internal security
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Details of Igla-S MANPADS
Mains level: VSHORAD Program of Indian Army
- After a series of delays, Russia has been declared the lowest bidder in the Army’s multi-billion dollar deal for man portable air defence systems (MANPADS).
- It will soon be supplying $ 1.3 bn very short range air defense or VSHORAD program missile system to the Indian Army.
- IGLA-S (SA-24) is the latest model of Russian MANPADS technology offered to the Indian Army.
- It offers superior performance over the earlier supplied SA-18 missiles to India which is in use since 1980s.
- Igla-S system is designed for use against visible targets as tactical aircraft, helicopters, unmanned aerial vehicle, cruise missile, head-on or receding, in the presence of natural (background) clutter and counter measures.
- As per requirements, the system should have a maximum range of 6km, altitude of 3km along with all-weather capability and will replace the existing Igla in service which is in urgent need of replacement.
- The other concern is the US sanctions under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) law.
- This act restricts defence purchases from Russia, Iran and North Korea.
- The US is yet to grant India a waiver for the $5.43 bn S-400 air defence deal with Russia signed in early October.