From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : IBA100
Mains level : Brain Atlas
- The International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) in Hyderabad has built the first-ever Indian brain atlas.
- This brain atlas was based on the Caucasian brain template. It is named as IBA100. Other brain atlases include Chinese, Korean and Caucasian.
- The India-specific brain atlas was created by using the MRI scans of 50 individuals of different genders.
- The Indian atlas was validated against other atlases for various populations.
- The first digital human brain atlas was created by the Montreal Neurological Institute (MNI).
Indian brain is smaller
- The researchers in IIIT have also revealed that the Indian brain is smaller compared to others.
- It is smaller in height, width, and volume compared to the western and eastern populations.
Utility of the atlas
- This study will help in the early diagnosis of brain diseases like Alzheimer’s.
Posted on | The Hindu