Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology | Achievement of Indians in science & technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Fields Medal
Mains level: Contribution of Indians in the field of science
Mathematics Nobel to Indian-origin person
- Akshay Venkatesh, a renowned Indian-Australian mathematician, is one of four winners of mathematics’ prestigious Fields medal, known as the Nobel prize for math.
- He has won the Fields Medal for his profound contributions to an exceptionally broad range of subjects in mathematics.
- The citation for Venkatesh’s medal awarded at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Rio de Janeiro — highlights his profound contributions to an exceptionally broad range of subjects in mathematics and his strikingly far-reaching conjectures.
About Fields Medal
- The Fields medals are awarded every four years to the most promising mathematicians under the age of 40.
- The prize was inaugurated in 1932 at the request of Canadian mathematician John Charles Fields, who ran the 1924 Mathematics Congress in Toronto.
- Each winner receives a 15,000 Canadian-dollar cash prize. At least two, and preferably four people, are always honoured in the award ceremony.