From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Highlights of the report
Mains level : Child healthcare in India
- India’s Child Well-being Index was recently released.
India’s Child Well-being Report
- The India child well-being index is a crucial report that can be mined both by the Government and civil organisations to achieve the goal of child well-being and we will use this report effectively.
- The report is released by the NGO World Vision India and research institute IFMR LEAD.
- One of the primary objectives of this index is to garner attention to the under-researched theme of child well-being in India, and inspire further academic and policy conversations on related issues.
- This report provides insights on health, nutrition, education, and sanitation and child protection.
- The report is an attempt to look at how India fairs on child well-being using a composite child well-being index.
Performance by the states
- Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh and Puducherry topped the charts in the child well-being index, a tool designed to measure and tracks children’s well-being comprehensively.
- Meghalaya, Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh featured at the bottom.
- Focusing on the three key dimensions, 24 indicators were selected to develop the computation of the child well-being index.
- The dimensions of the index include healthy individual development, positive relationships and protective contexts.
- The report highlights the multi-dimensional approach towards measuring child well-being — going beyond mere income poverty.
A policy trigger
- The research has brought to the fore compelling insights on child well-being in India.
- The report, meanwhile, calls for States to look at their respective scores on the dimensions of child well-being, and to prepare for priority areas of intervention with specific plans of action.
- It also hopes to trigger policy level changes, seek better budgetary allocations and initiate discussions with all stakeholders, which can help in enhancing the quality of life of all children in the country.