From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Terms of Reference of the CDS
Mains level : Office of the CDS
The outgoing Army chief, Gen. Bipin Rawat, was appointed as the country’s first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS).
Terms of references for CDS
- According to an official gazette dated December 28, the upper age limit for the CDS has been fixed at 65 years.
- However, the tenure of CDS has not been fixed.
- Service Chiefs have a tenure of three years or 62 years, whichever is earlier, and it remains unchanged.
- As Gen. Rawat has not reached 62 years of age, his tenure as CDS could be longer than his tenure as the COAS unless the government fixes the tenure of CDS at a later stage.
Role and responsibilities
- The CDS will act as the Principal Military Adviser to the Defence Minister on tri-Service matters.
- The three Chiefs will continue to advise Defence Minister on matters exclusively concerning their respective Services.
- The CDS will administer tri-services organisations while their military command, will be with the Chief of the duly notified Service.
- However, Tri-services agencies/organizations/ commands related to Cyber and Space will be under the command of the CDS.
- The CDS will be member of Defence Acquisition Council and Defence Planning Committee.
For additional readings, navigate to the page: