Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Noney Bridge and its details
Mains level: Development projects in the NE
- The Northeast Frontier Railway Construction Organization has constructed India’s tallest pier as part of the project to build a railway bridge at Noney in Manipur.
- The proposed bridge will be the world’s tallest railway bridge.
- The bridge is being constructed across the valley of river Ijai near Noney, with the height of the final pier being 141 metres.
- On completion, the bridge will surpass the existing world record, held by the 139-metre Mala-Rijeka viaduct in Montenegro.
- The total length of the Noney bridge will be 703 metres.
- The bridge is a part of the 111-km Jiribam-Tupul-Imphal new broad gauge line project, a national project which is set to be completed by 2022.
- The project also includes 45 tunnels, the longest being 10.28 km, which will be the longest railway tunnel of the northeast.