Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Indigenization of technology & developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: MPATGM
Mains level: Enhancing Army’s weapons arsenal.
Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM)
- The MPATGM is a third-generation anti-tank guided missile (ATGM), which has been under development by DRDO in partnership with Indian defense contractor VEM Technologies Ltd. since 2015.
- Fitted with a high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) warhead, the MPATGM reportedly boasts a top attack capability and has a maximum engagement range of about 2.5 kilometers.
- An indigenously developed Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM) was successfully flight tested for the second time from Ahmednagar test range.
- It has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- This low-weight MPATGM will complement the Spike Anti-Tank Guided Missile to be procured from Israel.