Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Indigenization of technology & developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: ATAGS
Mains level: Army’s need for new types of equipment and their development in India
- The development of the indigenously-designed heavy artillery gun, the Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS), has advanced to a stage where user-assisted trials of the gun are likely to start by June.
Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS)
- The ATAGS is a 155mm, 52 calibre gun being developed by the DRDO on two parallel tracks: one prototype is being built in partnership with Tata Power (Strategic Engineering Division), and the other is in collaboration with Bharat Forge.
- The gun currently weighs about 18 tonnes while the ideal weight for the army would be 14-15 tonnes.
- The gun has several significant features including an all-electric drive, high mobility, quick deployability, auxiliary power mode, advanced communications system, automated command and control system.
- It also sports a six-round magazine instead of the standard three-round magazine.
- This necessitates a larger chamber and is a major factor pushing up the overall weight of the system.