It is Indian Navy’s first totally indigenously-designed and built Torpedo launch and recovery vessel (TRV).
- It is advanced replacement for INS Astravahini which was decommissioned from India Navy.
- The unique design by a collaborative effort of Naval Science and Technological Laboratory (NSTL), IIT Kharagpur and Shoft Shipyard.
- It is 50-metre twin-hulled warship with maximum speed of 15 knots (28 km/h).
- It will function and operate under the Eastern Fleet of Indian Navy.
- It will carry out the technical trials of underwater weapons and systems like torpedoes and mines.