Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Institute of Eminence tag
Mains level: Impact of having the tag
- The University Grants Commission has deferred its decision on granting the Institute of Eminence tag to more educational institutions.
- The expert committee has recommended more than the mandated number that the scheme allowed.
- In July, the HRD Ministry hass granted the Institution of Eminence status to three public and three private educational institutions in India after the empowered expert committee recommended 11 names.
- The six institutions included the Jio Institute, which is yet to be set up.
- In December, the committee recommended 19 more names, taking the total list to 30.
- Now the empowered expert committee has recommended 30 names – 15 in each category.
What hinders granting more institutions?
- It was not just a question of naming the institutions, but also granting public institutions Rs 1,000 crore in special funds.
- The committee had not put its list of names in any preferential order or ranking.
About Institute of Eminence Scheme