From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : About the scheme
Mains level : Outreach of the scheme
Status granted to new institutions
- The HRD Ministry has awarded the status of Institute of Eminence to the IIT-Madras, the IIT-Kharagpur, Delhi University, Benares Hindu University and the University of Hyderabad.
- Four private universities — the Vellore Institute of Technology, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Jamia Hamdard University and the Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology — were issued Letters of Intent to grant them the status.
- The new greenfield Bharti Institute, a project of Satya Bharti Foundation, has also been issued the letter.
- These institutions will not be subject to UGC inspections, and are free to set their own courses and curriculum, fee structure and merit-based admission systems.
- Each university will be required to sign a MoU with the Ministry, laying out its plan to achieve the objective of becoming a world-class institution.
- They will have complete academic, administrative and financial autonomy.
- The public institutions on the list will then be eligible for a government grant of ₹1,000 crore.
Institutions of Eminence scheme
- This scheme under the Union HRD ministry aims to project Indian institutes to global recognition.
- The selected institutes will enjoy complete academic and administrative autonomy.
- Only higher education institutions currently placed in the top 500 of global rankings or top 50 of the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) are eligible to apply for the eminence tag.
- The private Institutions of Eminence can also come up as greenfield ventures provided the sponsoring organisation submits a convincing perspective plan for 15 years.
What will be the benefit for such institutions?
- It will ensure complete autonomy to the selected institutions and facilitate them to grow more rapidly
- They will get more opportunity to scale up their operations with more skills and quality improvement so that they become World Class Institutions in the field of education
- To achieve the top world ranking, these Institutions shall be provided with
- greater autonomy to admit foreign students up to 30% of admitted students
- to recruit foreign faculty up to 25% of faculty strength; to offer online courses up to 20% of its programmes
- to enter into academic collaboration with top 500 in the world ranking Institutions without permission of UGC
- free to fix and charge fees from foreign students without restriction
- the flexibility of course structure in terms of number of credit hours and years to take a degree
- complete flexibility in fixing of curriculum and syllabus