Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: IATA
Mains level: Potential of the aviation sector in India
- SpiceJet has joined global airlines’ grouping International Air Transport Association (IATA) as a member, becoming the first Indian low-cost carrier to get the membership.
- The International Air Transport Association is a trade association of the world’s airlines.
- IATA supports airline activity and helps formulate industry policy and standards.
- It is headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, Canada with Executive Offices in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Consisting of 290 airlines, primarily major carriers, representing 117 countries, the IATA’s member airlines account for carrying approximately 82% of total available air traffic.
Benefits of joining IATA
- The IATA represents more than 290 airlines, including Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara.
- SpiceJet is the first Indian low-cost carrier to be an IATA member, and fifth member in India.
- The IATA membership is significant for rapidly expanding the airline’s international footprint.
- The membership allows the airline to explore and grow its collaborations with international member airlines of IATA through interlining and code shares.
- This in turn enables an airline to seamlessly expand the network options for its passengers in future.
- The membership will further enable us to inculcate global best practices and innovations.