Mains Paper 2: IR | India & its neighborhood- relations.
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Guru Padmasambhava, Thangka Paintings
Mains level: India-Bhutan cultural relations
About the Conference
- Celebrating 50-years of formalization of diplomatic ties between India and Bhutan, a two-day international conference on 8th century Himalayan sage Guru Padmasambhava was held in New Delhi.
- The conference, organised by the Centre for Escalation of Peace (CEP) and titled ‘Life and Legacy of Guru Padmasambhava’, was held.
- Guru Padmasambhava was born in India and has visited Bhutan two times.
- He spent a large amount of his time in Nalanda there and then he travelled across the Himalayas.
- He is known as the second Buddha because he brought Buddhism in Bhutan and other Himalayan countries.
- There is an image or painting of the guru in every Bhutanese home or temple.
- Thangka paintings, sculptures and photographs portrayed the life and teachings of the Guru.
(Note: Thangka is a Tibetan Buddhist painting on cotton, silk usually depicting a Buddhist deity, scene, or mandala)