From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : International Migrant Stock 2019
Mains level : Indian diaspora
- India has emerged as the leading country of origin for immigrants across the world, with 17.5 million international migrants in 2019 coming from India, up from 15.9 million in 2015.
International Migrant Stock 2019
- The data is released by the UN DESA’s Population Division.
- Data shows that the number of international migrants in the world had reached an estimated 272 million 2019 — 51 million more than in 2010.
- The percentage of international migrants of the total global population has increased to 3.5% from 2.8% in 2000.
India at the top
- While India remained as the top source of international migrants, the number of migrants living in India saw a slight decline from 5.24 million in 2015 to an estimated 5.15 million in 2019 – both 0.4% of the total population of the country.
- Bangladesh was the leading country of origin for migrants in India.
- In a statement, the UN DESA Population Division said that one-third of all international migrants originated from 10 countries.
- After India, Mexico ranked second as the country of origin for 12 million migrants, followed by China (11 million), Russia (10 million) and Syria (8 million).
- The European region hosted the highest number of the immigrants at 82 million in 2019, followed by North America (59 million) and Northern Africa and Western Asia (49 million).
- Among countries, the U.S. hosts the highest number of international migrants (51 million), about 19% of the global population.
- Forced displacements continue to rise, with the number of refugees and asylum seekers increased by about 13 million from 2010 to 2017.