Mains Paper 2: IR | Effect of policies & politics of developed & developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: GCC, Persian Gulf Regional Dialogue Forum
Mains level: Prospects of Gulf Politics in Iranian and Saudi Sphere
- In a diplomatic initiative to address the lingering conflicts and mistrust in the Gulf region, Iran has proposed a new platform for regional peace building.
- The proposal is among the set of fresh initiatives that Iran has taken in recent months that also included Tehran connecting with the Taliban for peace talks.
Why such move?
- The announcement of Persian Gulf Regional Dialogue Forum is significant as it comes in the wake of continued erosion of the Gulf Cooperation Council.
- The GCC in the recent years has been divided between the Iranian and the Saudi spheres.
- The new forum could focus on promotion of peace and prosperity in the region.
What Iran expects from this forum?
- The effectiveness of such a forum in dealing with threats like terrorism and extremism has left the countries of the region in a state of continuous state of insecurity
- Admission to such a forum should be based on accepting generally-recognised principles and shared objectives, notably respect for sovereignty, territorial integrity and the political independence of all states.
- The forum could connect people of various member countries cutting across all traditional boundaries.
- During the Raisina Dialogue, Iran said such a forum should offer membership to countries based on a set of general principles to address real issues that affect people of the region and the world.
- These measures could include freedom of navigation, assurance of free flow of energy and other resources and protection of the fragile marine ecology of the Gulf.
Gulf Cooperation Council