Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers etc.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Oceansat-3-Argos mission
Mains level: All missions of the ISRO are important from examination point of view
- ISRO and its French counterpart CNES has sealed an agreement to set up a joint maritime surveillance system in the country.
- The two nations will explore putting up a constellation of low-Earth orbiting satellites.
- The system will be augmented with the launch of Oceansat-3-Argos mission in 2020 along with a joint infrared Earth-observation satellite.
- These will identify and track movement of ships globally – and in particular those moving in the Indian Ocean region where France has its Reunion Islands.
- Before that, they will initially share data from their present space systems and develop new algorithms to analyse them, according to the Paris based National Centre for Space Studies.
- They work together for the design and development of joint products and techniques, including those involving Automatic Identification System (AIS), to monitor and protect the assets in land and sea.
- The two agencies have put up two climate and ocean weather monitoring satellites Megha-Tropiques (of 2011) and SARAL-AltiKa (2013) that is considered a model.