Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Gaganyaan
Mains level: India’s aspiration for a manned mission in Space.
- India hopes to send its first manned mission Gaganyaan in 2022.
- The Roscosmos State Corporation for Space Activities and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will be working together on the Gaganyaan mission.
- A MoU was inked between ISRO and the Federal Space Agency of Russia ‘ROSCOSMOS’ for joint activities in the field of Human Spaceflight Programme.
- The Russian side has offered a ride to Indian astronaut a short visit to International Space Station (ISS) on board a Soyuz spacecraft for a short training mission in 2022.
- Russia had agreed to supply ISRO with the Rover for the second moon mission but this has not come through and now ISRO is building its own Rover.
- It was also decided to set up measurement data collection ground stations of the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System NavIC and the Russian Navigation Satellite System GLONASS in both countries.
- India-Russia space cooperation was very strong, with the Soviet Union being one of the three partners who helped India get off the ground with its space programme.
- The China factor has been a determining factor to the extent where India’s Chandrayaan 2 mission has been delayed significantly.
Training the Astronauts
- There have been debates about where India should train its astronauts.
- The options are of course the US and Russia and both have offered India all assistance in this regard.
- The ISS is a habitable artificial satellite in low Earth orbit.
- If successful, India would be the fourth nation to send a human in space after the US, Russia and China.