From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : NewSpace India Limited (NSIL)
Mains level : Commercial activities by ISRO
- NewSpace India Limited, the commercial arm of ISRO was officially inaugurated in Bengaluru.
NewSpace India Limited (NSIL)
- NSIL’s main objective is to scale up industry participation in Indian space programmes.
- NSIL was incorporated on March 6 2019, for commercially utilising research and development activities carried out by ISRO in the area of space with an authorised share capital of Rs 100 crore and initial paid up capital of Rs 10 crore.
- NSIL will act as an aggregator for all space related activities in industry and develop private entrepreneurship in space related technologies.
Services to be provided
- Specifically, it will be responsible for manufacturing and production of Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV) and Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) through technology transfer mechanisms.
- It will also cater to emerging global commercial SSLV market demand, providing satellite building and satellite-based services.
- Its services will include supply of sub-systems for various domestic and international application needs and will enable space technology spin-offs through Indian industry interface.
- It will enable space technology spin-offs via Indian industry interface.