From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : JAGA mission
Mains level : Problems of Slum Dwellers
World Habitat Mission has recognised the Odisha state government’s Jaga Mission that uses drones to survey slums. The Odisha government has become the first in the country to bag this award.
Jaga (Land) Mission
- Odisha Liveable Habitat Mission “JAGA” is a society under Housing & Urban Development Department, Government of Odisha, headed by the Chief Secretary, Odisha as Chairman.
- “JAGA” aims at transforming the slums into liveable habitat with all necessary civic infrastructure and services at par with the better off areas within the same urban local body (ULB).
- It would work continuously to improve the standard of the infrastructure and services and access to livelihood opportunities.
- It is the world’s largest slum land title project.
- It involves the government surveying and awarding slum dwellers a legal land title.
Why land rights for slums matter
- More often than not, slums are seen as encroachments and slum dwellers, even if they stay in slums for decades, are not provided with any legal rights over the land.
- This illegality further condemns slums — which are an urban reality in Indian cities — to unsanitary conditions. Formal recognition of land rights allows for cleaner cities and better living conditions for slum dwellers.