Mains Paper 2: IR | Bilateral, regional & global groupings & agreements involving India &/or affecting India’s interests
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: BIMSTEC, Kathmandu Declaration
Mains level: Importance of Kathmandu Declaration
- The BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) is a regional grouping comprising India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan and Nepal.
- The regional grouping’s Kathmandu Declaration focuses on backing of terror by state and non-state actors, apart from connectivity among the member nations.
- Describing terrorism as a “great threat” to international peace and security, India and six other BIMSTEC nations on called for identifying and holding accountable states and non-state entities that encourage, support or finance terrorism, provide sanctuaries to terrorists and falsely extol their virtues.
- The Kathmandu Declaration deplored terror attacks in all parts of the world, including in BIMSTEC countries, and stressed that there could be no justification for any act of terrorism.
- The declaration did not name any specific country, but Pakistan is often comes to light for providing safe havens to terrorists.
Other Details of the Declaration
- The declaration underlined the importance of multidimensional connectivity, which promotes synergy among connectivity frameworks in the region, as a key enabler to economic integration for shared prosperity.
- The MoU signed provides for optimisation of using energy resources in the region & promotion of efficient & secure operation of power system.