This showed that civil society and local governance structure could deliver remarkable results at the grassroots level.
- Vice President Ansari declared Kerala as the first State in the country to achieve total primary education.
- Speaking at the function, he said was as historic for Kerala as April 18, 1991, when it was declared a fully literate State.
- The day also marked the culmination of the Athulyam programme aimed at ensuring total primary education, equivalent to Standard IV of formal education.
- He said the remarkable socio-economic indicators of the State were testimony to the transformative nature of mass education.
- The programmes undertaken at the 4,000 continuing education centres started by the Kerala State Literacy Mission Authority (KSLMA).