From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : KABIL
Mains level : Mining sector of India
Khanij Bidesh India Ltd. (KABIL)
- A joint venture company namely Khanij Bidesh India Ltd. (KABIL) is to be set up with the participation of three Central Public Sector Enterprises namely, National Aluminium Company Ltd.(NALCO), Hindustan Copper Ltd.(HCL) and Mineral Exploration Company Ltd. (MECL).
- The objective of constituting KABIL is to ensure a consistent supply of critical and strategic minerals to Indian domestic market.
- While KABIL would ensure mineral security of the Nation, it would also help in realizing the overall objective of import substitution.
- The equity participation between NALCO, HCL and MECL is in the ratio of 40:30:30.
Why need KABIL?
- The sustained source of mineral and metal commodities is imperative for the transportation and manufacturing segment. R
- ecalling the commitment at the UN Climate Change Conference, Pairs, 2015, where India has pledged to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and opting a greener mode of transportation byemphasizing upon Electric Vehicle Mobility.
- It is therefore important to ensure energy storage through batteries.
- Among such twelve minerals identified as strategic minerals, which have meagre resource base, Lithium Cobalt are significant.
What will KABIL do?
- The KABIL would carry out identification, acquisition, exploration, development, mining and processing of strategic minerals overseas for commercial use and meeting country’s requirement of these minerals.
- The sourcing of these minerals or metals is to done by creating trading opportunities, G2G collaborations with the producing countries or strategic acquisitions or investments in the exploration and mining assets of these minerals in the source countries.
- The new company will help in building partnerships with other mineral rich countries like Australia and those in Africa and South America, where Indian expertise in exploration and mineral processing will be mutually beneficial bringing about new economic opportunities.