With 32 UNESCO recognized natural and cultural heritage sites, ranking second in Asia and fifth in the world
- The National Heritage Development and Augmentation Yojana (HRIDAY) aims to preserve and rejuvenate the rich cultural heritage of the country.
- Ministry: Urban Development
- It seeks to promote an integrated, inclusive and sustainable development of heritage sites
- This will focusing not just on maintenance of monuments but on advancement of the entire ecosystem including its citizens, tourists and local businesses
- The tourism potential of the country is still to be fully harnessed and this scheme will help in this regard
- The 12 cities selected for the scheme are Ajmer, Amritsar, Amravati, Badami, Dwarka, Gaya, Warangal, Puri, Kanchipuram, Mathura, Varanasi and Velankanni