Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Indigenization of technology & developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the SPG
Mains level: Indigenization of defence manufacturing
Implementing Strategic Partnership guidelines
- In a major step towards boosting private sector participation in domestic defence manufacturing, the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved the implementation of Strategic Partnership guidelines.
- SP model aims to revitalise defence industrial ecosystem and progressively build indigenous capabilities in the private sector to design, develop and manufacture complex weapon system for future needs of armed forces.
- The guidelines lay emphasis on incentivisation of transfer of niche technology and higher indigenous content.
- All procurements under the SP model would be executed by specially constituted Empowered Project Committees to provide focused attention and ensure timely execution.
Four segments of Policy
- The SP model has four segments viz. submarines, single-engine fighter aircraft, helicopters and armoured carriers/main battle tanks which would be specifically opened up for the private sector.
- Under this policy, one Indian private company would be selected in each segment which would tie-up with shortlisted global equipment manufacturers to manufacture the platforms in India under technology transfer.
- The DAC also approved platform-specific guidelines for procurement of Naval Utility helicopters
- In another decision, the DAC gave approval for the acquisition of eight Fast Patrol Vessels (FPV) for the Coast Guard at an approximate cost of ₹800 crore
- These would be indigenously designed and manufactured.