Mains Paper 2: Polity | Separation of powers between various organs dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not Much
Mains level: Row over capital punishment
- If a court finds it difficult to make a choice between death penalty and life imprisonment, it should opt for the lesser punishment, the Supreme Court said in a recent judgment.
Death penalty is exceptional
- Life imprisonment is the rule to which the death penalty is the exception.
- The death sentence must be imposed only when life imprisonment appears to be an altogether inappropriate punishment, having regard to the relevant facts and circumstances of the crime.
- The judgment was based on an appeal filed by a man sentenced to death for the rape and murder of a five-year-old in Madhya Pradesh.
- The court ordered the convict to serve his life sentence with a minimum of 25 years’ imprisonment without remission.