Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Prelims level: Aadhar, PAN
Mains level: Not much
- The Centre on Monday extended the deadline for filing income tax (I-T) returns from July 31 to August 5, citing the last-minute rush coupled with widespread difficulties in linking PAN and Aadhaar.
- Government has granted temporary relief to taxpayers without Aadhaar numbers by allowing them to file their I-T returns without linking the PAN to Aadhaar
- However, the returns will not be processed until the link between Aadhaar and PAN has been established
- May 2017, the government issued a notification saying that the PAN-Aadhaar link was not necessary for certain categories of people such as senior citizens, NRIs, foreigners, and citizens of North Eastern states
- But the return filing website is still asking for Aadhaar for senior citizens, and there is no facility to mention nationality, so even foreigners are being made to get Aadhaar.
- There are complaints that the taxpayers are not being able to link Aadhaar with PAN because of different names reflected in PAN and Aadhaar database.
- Issue arising out of the mandatory linking of PAN and Aadhaar is reconciling different names on the two IDs. While Aadhaar allows abbreviations in names, PAN does not, which is causing a lot of problems for people