From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Read the attached story
Mains level : Lokpal and its functions
- Lokpal Chairman Justice (retired) Pinaki Chandra Ghose launched the new logo and motto for the apex anti-corruption ombudsman.
- The Lokpal became functional after the appointment of its Chairman and members in March 2019.
About the Logo
- The logo was designed by Prashant Mishra, a resident of Prayagraj in UP in a competition.
- The logo symbolizes how Lokpal protects and cares for the people of India by establishing justice as per law.
- The logo figuratively symbolizes the essence of Lokpal with:
- the inclusion of shapes such as the ombudsman [Judges’ Bench]
- the people [three human figures],
- vigilance [an Ashoka Chakra forming an eye],
- the law [a shape of book] and the judicial [two tri-color hands placed below, forming a unique balance].
- The Lokpal unanimously decided to take one portion of the above 1st sloka of ‘Ishabasoupanishad’.
- It is read as under:-
“मा गृधः कस्यस्विद्धनम्”
The meaning of the above slogan/motto in Hindi is मा गृधः= लोभ, मत करो, कस्यस्वित्=किसी के, धनम्=धन का i.e. किसी के धन का लोभ मत करो. The meaning in English is “Do not be greedy for anyone’s wealth.”