The bill aims at declaring 106 additional inland waterways as National Waterways in addition to the five existing National Waterways.
- The National Waterways Bill, 2015 repeals the 5 Acts that declare the existing national waterways.
- This will pave way for the inclusion of 106 additional inlands waterways.
- The total number of national waterways numbers will go up to 111 from existing five national waterways.
- Declaration of these National Waterways would enable Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) to develop the feasible stretches for Shipping and Navigation.
- Inland waterways comprise mainly rivers, lakes, canals, creeks and backwaters.