From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : LESA
Mains level : Lunar missions by NASA
- Among preparations for NASA’s 2024 Moon mission, one has been to test a device called Lunar Evacuation System Assembly, or LESA.
- Astronauts are testing LESA under the sea. With its rocky, sandy terrain and buoyant salt water, the bottom of the ocean floor has much in common with the lunar surface.
- Developed by the European Space Agency (ESA), LESA is a pyramid-like structure whose purpose is to rescue an astronaut should he or she suffer an injury on the lunar surface.
- Astronauts will be wearing heavy extravehicular activity (EVA) suits.
- There is no way an astronaut could carry their fallen crewmate over their shoulder while wearing an EVA suit.
- LESA can be operated by a single astronaut to rescue a fallen colleague.
- It enables an astronaut to lift their crewmate onto a mobile stretcher in less than 10 minutes, before carrying them to the safety of a nearby pressurized lander.