Mains Paper 2: IR | Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: NATO, Facts about north Macedonia
Mains level: NATO
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) said that its 29 members cleared the way for Macedonia to become the alliance’s 30th member, following its historic name change.
- Macedonia has been at odds with Greece since 1991 when the former broke away from Yugoslavia.
- For the Greeks, the name Macedonia has a powerful historical significance.
- It is the name of a region within Greece, and this name harks back to the ancient kingdom once ruled by Alexander the Great.
- The Greeks consider this period to be one of the highest points in their history, and have accused the neighbouring country of “cultural theft” in their choice of name.
Getting the way cleared
- Macedonian PM agreed getting the country into the EU and NATO.
- Consequently it reached an agreement with Greece when Greece promised to drop its objections against their entry into the EU and the NATO.
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization, also called the North Atlantic Alliance, is an intergovernmental military alliance between 29 North American and European countries.
- It is based on the North Atlantic Treaty that was signed on 4 April 1949.
- NATO constitutes a system of collective defence whereby its independent member states agree to mutual defence in response to an attack by any external party.
Republic of North Macedonia
- Capital: Skopje
- Bordering countries: Albania, Greece, Serbia, Kosovo, Bulgaria
- Formerly part of Yugoslavia