Mains Paper 3: Agriculture | Different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: ASKP Scheme
Mains level: Facilitating Irrigation through solar power
- To encourage farmers to use solar agriculture pumps, the Maharashtra government has decided to give two LED bulbs, a DC fan and a mobile charging socket as freebies.
Atal Solar Krishi Pump (ASKP) Yojana
- Maharashtra govt. has launched ASKP scheme for farmers to provide subsidy of upto 95% on solar agriculture pumpsets.
- Farmers with less than 5 acres of land just need to day 5% i.e. Rs. 12,000 and get three horse power pump
- Farmers with more than 5 acres of land just need to pay Rs. 30,000 and get five horse power solar powered pump
Benefits of the Initiative
- The State aims to reduce losses due to non-payment of electricity bills and also promote solar energy by implementing the scheme.
- The scheme would be beneficial to farmers who reside in remote areas where the agricultural feeder is not possible.