Mains Paper2: Governance| Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States
The following things are important from UPSC perspective:
Prelims: MahaHousing Initiative
Mains level: Housing for All
- The Maharashtra state cabinet has approved the formation of MahaHousing (Maharashtra Housing Development Corporation), a dedicated housing corporation to implement the PMAY in the state.
- It plans to build 19.40 lakh houses by 2022.
- A separate mechanism was needed to speed up the process of building houses in the stipulated time frame.
- The projects are being implemented by the Housing Department, Maharashtra Affordable Housing and Development Authority (MHADA), and local civic bodies.
- The projects also include public-private partnership and joint ventures.
- Projects for economically backward classes, low income and middle income groups will get an FSI (floor Space index) of 2.5, while those in green zones or no-development zones will get 1 FSI.
Structure and Functioning
- MahaHousing will work till 2022, or till the time PMAY continues.
- The CM will be its president, while the Housing Minister will be the additional president.
- A non-government member will be joint president.
- A government-appointed CEO will work as its managing director. The entire staff of the corporation will be outsourced.
- Funding for MahaHousing will be raised from share investment by MHADA, Slum Rehabilitation Authority, Shivshahi Punarvasan Prakalp Ltd. and other interested government bodies.
- Besides, the corporation is allowed to raise money through loans from banks and financial institutions.