Mains Paper 3 : Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways Etc. |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : MACN
Mains level : Maritime security and logistics
- Maritime Anti-Corruption Network (MACN), a global business network of over 110 companies working to tackle corruption in the maritime industry, has announced the launch of a Port Integrity Campaign in India.
Maritime Anti-Corruption Network
- The MACN is a global business network working towards the vision of a maritime industry free of corruption that enables fair trade to the benefit of society at large.
- Established in 2011 by a small group of committed maritime companies, MACN has grown to include over 100 members
- It has become one of the pre-eminent examples of collective action to tackle corruption.
- MACN and its members promote good corporate practice in the maritime industry for tackling bribes, facilitation payments and other forms of corruption.
- MACN collaborates with key stakeholders, including governments and international organizations, such as the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), to identify and mitigate the root causes of corruption in the maritime industry.
About Port Integrity Campaign
- The campaign aims to reduce and (in the long term) eliminate integrity issues and bottlenecks to trade during operations in Indian ports.
- It is a collective action of MACN, the Government of India, international organizations, and local industry stakeholders.
- The pilot of the campaign will take place in Mumbai ports (MbPT and JNPT) and will run until October this year.
- The main activities of the campaign include implementation of integrity training for port officials and the establishment of clear escalation and reporting processes.