Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Indigenization of technology & developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: MRSAM
Mains level: Army’s need for new types of equipment and their development in India
- India displayed its latest surface-to-air missile system, called the MRSAM, in a parade held on 26 January to mark the 70th anniversary of the country’s founding.
- The new missile system is developed by India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in partnership with Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI).
- The MRSAM provides the armed forces with air defense capability against a variety of aerial threats at medium ranges.
- The missile launcher and the command post would be made in India, with the rest of the complex system – including the missile itself – to be made in Israel.
- IAI will reportedly supply India with 2,000 missiles capable of intercepting enemy aircraft and missiles within a 70-kilometer range.
- The proposed MRSAM, to replace the old Pechora missiles which currently in service of Indian Defense Forces.
- The MRSAM missile is equipped with an advanced active radar radio frequency (RF) seeker, advanced rotating phased array radar and a bidirectional data link.
- The RF seeker, located in the front section of the missile, is used to detect moving targets in all weather conditions.
- The MRSAM surface-to-air missile is powered by a dual-pulse solid propulsion system developed by DRDO.
- The propulsion system, coupled with a thrust vector control system, allows the missile to move at a maximum speed of Mach 2.
- The weapon has the ability to engage multiple targets simultaneously at ranges of 70km.