Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Awareness in the fields of IT, Space
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the ExseedSAT1
Mains level: Utilities of the ExseedSAT1
India’s first private Satellite
- The ‘Made in India’ micro satellite ExseedSAT1, built by a small start up is the first built in the private sector to go into space.
- It was launched through the Falcon 9 rocket of SpaceX.
- So far building and launching satellites has been the exclusive preserve of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), the main driver of the impressive space programme.
- Early this year, through its commercial arm Antrix Agency, ISRO had encouraged private participation and building of satellites.
ExseedSAT1 and its purpose
- The satellite is a major boost to the private radio operators in the country.
- The satellites of this form are called Cubesats as they are 10 cm across and 1kg weight.
- This satellite is freely available for all radio amateurs across the world.
- It is an open radio transponder that works on ham radio frequencies.
- The amateur radio services provide vital communication links during natural disasters.
Amateur Radio Licensing in India
- One has to pay just Rs 100 license from the WPC to communicate through this satellite.
- Amateur radio operators are granted license by a governmental regulatory authority after passing an examination on applicable regulations, electronics, radio theory, and radio operation.
- The Indian government has waived the need for security clearances for amateur radio, enabling a lot of students to quickly apply and obtain radio amateur license.