- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) said the monsoon will be normal this year
- It has gone back on its earlier forecast of above normal monsoon
- Why? Due to delay in La Nina weather pattern
- Background: India has been hit by drought in the last two years, with the last monsoon being affected by El Nino
- However, it was expected that this year there would be a gradual transition to La Nina phenomenon, which would have boosted monsoon and given excess rain in September
Discuss: Discuss the significance of the normal monsoon rains on Indian economy. How good rains should be used to recharge groundwater through policy means?