The localisation plans are part of the government’s Make in India initiative
- In a move that could become a model for countries keen for a share of India’s civil nuclear energy pie
- India and Russia have set up a working group to locally build components for nuclear power plants of Russian design
- This is based on the Action Program signed between Rosatom and the Department of Atomic Energy(DAE) of India
- India is looking to majorly ramp up nuclear power generation to overcome power shortages and reduce carbon emissions under its global commitments.
- The Action Program includes areas of cooperation in the field of joint machinery production for nuclear power plants
- The 3 joint working groups set up are –
- The nuclear fuel cycle
- Nuclear energy
- Scientific-technical cooperation.