From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Nal Se Jal Scheme
Mains level : Ensuring safe drinking water for all
- Hon’ble PM will soon launch Jal Se Nal Yojana in the entire country.
Nal Se Jal Yojana
- Nodal Agency: Ministry of Jal Shakti
- Aim: To provide piped drinking water to every rural home by 2024
- It is a component of the government’s Jal Jivan Mission.
Why such scheme?
- According to a 2018 NITI Aayog report, 600 million Indians face high to extreme water stress and about two lakh people die every year due to inadequate access to safe water.
- By 2030, the country’s water demand is projected to be twice the available supply, implying severe water scarcity for hundreds of millions of people and an eventual ~6% loss in the country’s GDP.
- Studies also show that 84% of rural homes have no access to piped water, with more than 70% of the country’s water contaminated.