China has made Nanning one of the focal points of the proposed Maritime Silk Road. By 2020, Nanning port’s capacity is expected to rise to 22.83 million tonnes.
- Leveraging the southern city’s natural connectivity linkages with Southeast Asia and growth hubs of Guangzhou, Hong Kong and Macao.
- The waterways of Xijiang River that flows through the city lead to the Pearl River and the South China Sea.
- In view of the vast potential of the greater Pearl River Delta region, Chinese authorities are developing the Pearl River-Xijiang River Economic Belt.
- When fully developed, the waterways would strongly reinforce Nanning’s state-of-the-art rail and road connectivity to the coast.
- Its prized geographic location is making the city the fulcrum of China’s access to the most dynamic zones of Southeast Asia.