Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: TESS
Mains level: Missions and its objectives
Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS)
- After a successful launch in April this year, NASA’s newest planet hunter, the TESS has now started its search for planets around nearby stars.
- TESS is NASA’s latest satellite to search for planets outside our solar system, known as exoplanets.
- The mission will spend the next two years monitoring the nearest and brightest stars for periodic dips in their light.
- TESS is expected to transmit its first series of science data back to Earth in August, and thereafter periodically every 13.5 days, once per orbit, as the spacecraft makes it closest approach to Earth.
- These events, called transits, suggest that a planet may be passing in front of its star.
- TESS is expected to find thousands of planets using this method, some of which could potentially support life.