From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Parker Solar Probe
Mains level : About the solar mission
- NASA’s Parker Solar Probe completed a year in service.
Parker Solar Probe
- It is part of NASA’s “Living with a Star” programme that explores different aspects of the Sun-Earth system.
- The probe seeks to gather information about the Sun’s atmosphere and NASA says that it “will revolutionise our understanding of the Sun”.
- It is also the closest a human-made object has ever gone to the Sun.
- During the spacecraft’s first two solar encounters, the instruments were turned on when Parker was about 0.25 AU from the Sun and powered off again at the same distance on the outbound side of the orbit.
- For this third solar encounter, the mission team turned on the instruments when the spacecraft was around 0.45 AU from the Sun on the inbound side of its orbit.
- It will turn them off when the spacecraft is about 0.5 AU from the Sun on the outbound side.
Ai m of the mission
- The mission’s central aim is to trace how energy and heat move through the Sun’s corona and to study the source of the solar wind’s acceleration.
- The mission is likely to last for seven years during which it will complete 24 orbits.