Mains Paper 2 : Ministries & Departments Of The Government |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : National Data Warehouse (proposed)
Mains level : Need for NDW
Setting up National Data Warehouse
- The statistical reforms are necessary for ensuring responsiveness to the changing needs of society.
- The statistics ministry said that it proposes to set up a NDW with a view to leveraging big data analytical tools to further improve the quality of macro-economic aggregates.
- Here technology will be leveraged for using big data analytical tools for further improving the quality of macro-economic aggregates.
- Efforts are also on to evolve a legislative framework under which the National Statistical Commission (NSC) may function with independence and give holistic guidance for improving the national statistical system.
Why such move?
- Over a period of time, there have been increasing demands on the statistical system for the production of relevant and quality statistics.
- MoSPI has been criticised in some sections for the quality of macro-economic data.
- The Ministry said revision in GDP estimates occur when data coverage from administrative sources improves over time and these improvements get well documented.
- Consequently, the initial estimates of GDP tend to be conservative.
- To improve this, it would require concomitant changes in the sectoral data flows and associated regulatory framework in the data source agencies to facilitate the use of more macro modelling techniques.
- The Ministry has been accommodating these demands by optimizing the available resources and use of technology.
- The recent step for the merger of CSO and NSSO was aimed at leveraging the strengths of the two organisations so that it can meet the increasing demands, MoSPI said.