From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : National Mission on Natural Language Translation, PMSTIAC
Mains level : Need for Natural Language Translation
- The Ministry of Electronics and IT will soon place before the Union Cabinet a proposal for Natural Language.
National Mission on Natural Language Translation
- It aims to make science and technology accessible to all by facilitating access to teaching and researching material bilingually — in English and in one’s native Indian language.
- It is one of the key missions identified by the Prime Minister’s Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC).
- To overcome the language barrier, the government planned to set up an ecosystem which involved the Central and State agencies and start-ups.
- To achieve this, the government plans to leverage a combination of machine translation and human translation.
- The govt. is looking at speech-to-speech machine translation as well as text-to-text machine translation for this additional to human translation.
- The IT ministry is the lead agency for implementation of the mission along with the Ministry of HRD and Department of Science and Technology.
Two pronged strategy
- Translation activities can also help generate employment for educated unemployed.
- The mission would help not just students but also teachers, authors, publishers, translation software developers and general readers.
- The PM-STIAC is an overarching body that identifies challenges in certain areas of science and technology.
- It then creates a road map to deal with these challenges and presents the recommendations to the Prime Minister.
- Besides natural language translation, other missions identified by the body includes Quantum Frontier, AI, National Bio-diversity mission, electric vehicles, BioScience for Human Health and deep ocean exploration.