Mains Paper 3: Environment | Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the Gene Resource Bank, LaCONES
Mains level: Conservation of threatened species
Genetic resource bank
- Union Science and Technology Ministry dedicated to the nation, the National Wildlife Genetic Resource Bank
- Genetic resources from 23 species of Indian wild animals have been collected and preserved.
Genetic Resource Bank
- This facility would increase the collection of genetic resources from wildlife through collaboration with zoos in India
- This would facilitate the exchange of genetic material between Indian zoos for maintaining genetic diversity and conservation management made accessible to scientists and wildlife managers for implementing conservation programmes.
- The Laboratory for the Conservation of Endangered Species (LaCONES) is a dedicated laboratory of the CSIR-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad
- CCMB-LaCONES is the only laboratory in India that has developed methods for collection and cryopreservation of semen and oocytes from wildlife and successfully reproducing endangered blackbuck, spotted deer and Nicobar pigeons
- Wildlife Genetic Resource Banking (GRB) is the systematic collection and preservation of tissues, sperm, eggs and embryos, genetic material (DNA/RNA)
- It helps prevent the loss of valuable individuals to the gene pool.
Reintroducing Indian Mouse Deer
- The Telangana Forest Department, Central Zoo Authority, Nehru Zoological Park and CCMB have joined hands to conduct the first-ever planned reintroduction of the Indian spotted chevrotain (Moschiola indica), also known as Indian mouse deer
- This follows more than seven years of conservation breeding of the elusive species at a dedicated facility in the premises of Nehru Zoological Park
- This helped increase the captive mouse deer population to around 230 individuals till March this year.