Mains Paper 2: IR | Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Raxual-Kathmandu railway line
Mains level: Enhancing railway connectivity to Nepal
- A team of Indian authorities already conducted the first round of survey to connect the Indian rail with Kathmandu.
- The move came at a time when there is buzz about the Chinese railway crossing the Himalayas to counter the Indian influence in Nepal.
- The Chinese railway line has to cross the friction of two-highly sensitive Tibetan and Indian seismic plates to reach from Kerung to Kathmandu.
- But the Indian railway was safe in this matter due to comfortable topography.
India-Nepal Cross Border Rail Links
- It is aimed to enhance people-to-people linkage and promote economic growth and development in the region.
- Nepal too has expeditiously resolved all the outstanding issues including making available remaining land required for completion of the ongoing rail link projects.
- Both sides also agreed to put concerted efforts for completion of the railway lines from Jayanagar to Janakpur-Kurtha and from Jogbani to Biratnagar Customs Yard by the October 2018.
- Apart from Raxual-Kathmandu railway line, India has already started building five cross-border railway lines while another railway line – Jayanagar to Janakpur-Kurtha is about to complete within a year.