Mains Paper 2: IR | India & its neighborhood- relations
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: South Tibet, Doklam
Mains level: China’s claim on Arunachal and parts of PoK and India’s stand on this issue
China-India boundary issue
- China claims the entire Arunachal Pradesh as its own and calls it South Tibet
- China said that its position on the China-India boundary issue is consistent and clear, and it has never recognized the so-called Arunachal Pradesh
Why this statement?
- There were media reports that late last month China’s soldiers rolled building machines up to 200 metres into Arunachal Pradesh
Another Doklam-type standoff?
- Chinese representative said that he did not visualize such a situation
- Doklam issue was peacefully resolved by both sides
- China and India have established a mature management mechanism for border-related issues
- At the end of last year, the two sides held the 20th round of special representatives’ meeting on the boundary issue