From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : ZeliangrongTribes
Mains level : Utility of traditional knowledge of tribals
- Scientists have identified new plants species in Manipur, whose medicinal or pharmacology properties were not known yet.
Traditional medicines of Zeliangrong Tribals
- Scientists identified plants like Gynuracusimbua, Hedyotisscandens, Mussaendaglabra and Schimawallichii whose medicinal usage are reported for the first time and its pharmacological properties are not explored so far.
- The researchers documented 145 medicinal plants that the healers use for treating 59 ailments.
- They also found that the ethnic group used more than 40 species for treating more than one ailment.
- In most cases, native healers were found using leaves as a primary ingredient in their formulation, owing to the year-round availability.
- Additionally, they practice some uncommon methods such as using of guava leaves along with other medicinal plants for treating cold and fever.
- Healers of this tribal group were also found using some rare and vulnerable species like Piperarunachalensis without being aware of the status of these plants.
About Zeliangrong ethnic group
- Zeliangrong people are one of the major indigenous Naga communities living in the tri-junction of Assam, Manipur and Nagaland in India.
- The term “Zeliangrong” refers to the Zeme, Liangmai and Rongmei Naga tribes combined together.
- Earlier, the term also covered the Inpui tribe.
- The proper noun Zeliangrong does not denote a tribe but, rather, a union of tribes or, rather, the apex tribe of three aforementioned tribes (Zeme Naga, Liangmai Naga, Rongmei Naga).